Monday, January 7, 2013

I Can't Change the Name of this Blog, Can I?

It's the seventh of January, 2013 at approximately 4:18 in the afternoon.

I cried today.  I cried a few times.  This morning at around seven, I checked my email as I have been checking it about thirty times daily in order to receive the good news that I had been accepted into the TaLK program and that I would be shipping out later this month.  It happened in slow motion:  I saw the email from TaLK and as I was clicking on it to open it, I thought about interrupting my husband during his shower so that he would be the first person to see the excitement on my face while telling him that I had been accepted. However, as I started reading the email, certain phrases such as "regret to inform you" slapped me in the face with a cold dose of early morning reality.  I had jumped through so many hoops trying to get my application together for TaLK.  I pulled in favors from a former employer and professor and they wrote recommendation letters for me.  When I should have been focusing all of my effort, time and brain power on finishing my final papers for university, I instead split the time up and focused on my TaLK application.  I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off getting a background check on myself and then having it apostilled and notarized.  I even had to pay for everything out of my own pocket without reimbursement.  Yet with all of my hard work, I was still rejected.  Rejected.  Dejected now.  Their rejection email said that my application "was not competitive with the rest of the applicant pool."  How can that be?  I keep asking myself how my application didn't stand up to the rest of them.  I graduated with straight A's and a triple major in Linguistics, Arts and Psychology.  I spent a couple hundred hours teaching English to non-native speakers FOR FREE.  My criminal history is spotless, I showed great enthusiasm in my application essay and I started teaching myself Korean.  I even purchased classroom materials with hopes that I would use them while teaching adorable and eager Korean children.  I honestly do not know what I did or did not do.  After telling my friends and family that I would be in South Korea for a year, now I have to explain to them that I will be staying here while being jobless.  Jobless.  I have no work at all right now.  That's not 100% true.  I just started selling Avon four days ago.  Want to know how much money I've made so far?  It's zip, zero, zilch, nadda, nothin'.  

After crying, I decided to pick up my whiny arse and find something else to do with my life so I called an Air Force recruiter.  They don't want me.  Due to my disease and my fluctuating health, the military doesn't want me.  Now that's a kick in my ample booty.  I probably shouldn't even bother applying for the FBI or CIA - which was my previous end game plan.  I was going to teach abroad and get another language under my belt and then I thought that I would be most desirable to the FBI or CIA.  If the military won't take me then they surely won't either.  

So my last question is:  "Would you like fries with that?"  

No comments:

Post a Comment